This is a pasta dish my mom made for me, and her father made for her. Here is our email exchange when I asked for the recipe:
Ciao Mom, Remember that pasta that you make that just has lots of fresh herbs in it? How do you make it? Is it just basil, parsley, chives? Is there also garlic? Let me know and baci.
It was my father’s recipe… macho Italian man invents pasta sauce! It was considered a display of their creativity and versatility, but they never wash dishes (this is considered demeaning.) You chop up all herbs that you can find in any given season. You can use garlic, but father never ate garlic. Add Olive oil of course, lemon zest, and parmiggiano, never just any brand but reggiano or grana are easily found and considered acceptable. Baci.
So this dish is not really about exact measurements… It’s more from the heart and how YOU like it. Like, are you a basil person or an oregano person? (I’m a basil person and don’t go crazy for oregano, so I adjust accordingly). There is no “right” or “wrong” with this, it’s your heart’s desire! Report back what worked for you!
I find that one package of spaghetti is good for 5 people, if spaghetti is one course of a bigger meal. If it’s the only course then I say one package is good for 3 hungry people.
ONE PACKAGE OF SPAGHETTI
LOTS OF FINELY CHOPPED FRESH HERBS (see what I prefer below)
- APPROX 1 CUP FINELY CHOPPED BASIL
- APPROX 1 CUP FINELY CHOPPED PARSLEY
- APPROX 1 CUP OF CHIVES
- ¼ CUP OF FINELY CHOPPED SAGE
- ½ CUP FINELY CHOPPED MINT
- ¼ CUP FINELY CHOPPED OREGANO
ZEST FROM A WHOLE LEMON
½ – ¾ CUP OF EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
GENEROUS HANDFUL OF GRANA PARMIGIANO (& MORE IF YOU WANT!)
SALT TO TASTE
- Chop up all the herbs finely and place together in a large bowl.
- Cook and drain pasta well and add to the bowl with herbs.
- Add in olive oil and the lemon zest and toss together well.
- Add salt to taste and handful of parmigano before serving.