As a born and bred New Yorker I am not sure if I am allowed to say this, but I think it’s time to confess… I LOVE LA. In the middle of the Polar Vortex this past winter, I was lucky enough to travel to LA for work and kept asking myself, “Why do I live in NYC again?” I love LA weather.
I love the city. I love California. I love the beach. I love the canyons and the hiking. I LOVE the food. I also recently got my license, so driving feels VERY exciting. Even being stuck in traffic feels exciting! I got to complain about traffic going to/from the Valley and I felt sooooo grown up and cool. I think the key to keeping your sanity in LA traffic is to have satellite radio, because then you have quality alone time with stations like “90’s on 9” and re-live your childhood (and, if you’re anything like me, sing at the top of your lungs all by yourself in your car). Anyway, I digress…
Another perk of LA is a juice place called Clover. I came across Clover by accident, ordered one of their Mighty Leaf power shakes, and an explosion of amazingness detonated in my brain. I’ve been hooked ever since. Initially, I wasn’t sure that kale, coconut, almond, avocado, and yogurt combo would work, but I tell you something…It’s DAMN GOOD. Whenever I slurped it down (usually in seconds), my brain obsessively looped “I NEED this to be an ice cream flavor.” I found some kale pops and stuff, but it just was not the same at all. When I remembered that my friend’s husband, Michael Cortinas, makes ice cream for Il Laboratorio del Gelato, I wrote them a kind of crazy email while walking my dog and ended up walking into a huge tree in front of an outdoor café full of people, but WHO CARES? I was on a kale ice cream mission. To my absolute delight, he agreed to help me make the ice cream (actually, technically a sorbet) and this recipe is what we came up with.
I know you might be thinking, “UGH. KALE IN ICE CREAM? YOU TOOK IT TOO FAR – NO THANKS” but I promise that this is VERY yummy (I taste tested it on multiple people). It’s also the perfect Impatient Foodie food cause it’s your vegetable and dessert in one 😉 Also, maybe a good way to get your kids to eat kale? 😉 Let me know if you make it and what you think and any variations!
Kale Coconut White Chip Ice Cream with Toasted Pinoli Nuts
3 CUPS OF KALE, STALK REMOVED
CURLY KALE, LACINATO KALE, or SIBERIAN KALE varietals will work in this recipe.
11 0Z CANNED COCONUT MILK
8 OZ SWEETENED ALMOND MILK
½ AVOCADO, FROZEN
2 TEASPOONS MAPLE SYRUP
¼ CUP COARSELY CHOPPED WHITE CHOCOLATE CHIPS
2 TEASPOONS LIGHTLY TOASTED PINOLI NUTS (OPTIONAL)
- Cut an avocado in half and remove the pit and the skin. Place ½ of the avocado in a zip lock bag and freeze.
- Freezing the avocado should be done the night before you start ice creaming!
- Coarsely chop the white chocolate chips and set aside.
- Remove stalks from the kale leaves and then place kale leaves in the blender. Blend well.
- You might have to do this in batches, depending on the size of your blender.
- Pass the kale & coconut mix through a sieve and into a big bowl. (I used a silicone spatula to help push everything through.)
- Put the strained kale and coconut mixture back into the blender and add the ½ frozen avocado and the maple syrup. Blend together until frozen avocado is completely incorporated into the liquid (no chunks).
- Toast your pinoli nuts until lightly golden brown (2-3 mins)
- Add pinoli nuts and chopped chocolate chips to the kale coconut liquid and place in your ice cream maker.
- Watch the magic happen and enjoy immediately or store in your freezer.