This salad is hearty and gorgeous looking. I know it might seem weird to cook celery, but I promise it’s good.
Roasted Vegetable and Kale Salad
FOR THE SALAD:
2 BUNCHES TUSCAN KALE
6 CARROTS, washed, cut half lengthwise, and then into inch pieces.
2 LBS OF SUNCHOKES, washed, peeled, and cut into inch pieces
6 STALKS CELERY, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 BUTTERNUT SQUASH, peeled and cut into 1” pieces
FOR THE VINAGRETTE:
⅓CUP SHERRY VINEGAR
½ CUP EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
½ CUP VEGETABLE OIL
1 TSP SALT
For the roasted vegetables:
The key point of all the vegetables is that they are fork sized (1” or so), but more importantly that need to be approximately uniform in size from one another, so that they cook evenly.
- Heat a pan on med-high heat and add a 2-3 Tablespoons of olive oil.
- Cook the each vegetable separately (each will cook differently) in a single layer, so as not to crowd the pan, until the vegetables start to caramelize. (and, yes, you are cooking the celery too!)
- At this point, add salt, put the vegetables onto a baking sheet together and place in a 375F oven.
- Cook in the oven, checking after 10 minutes, to see if they are tender.
- Let cool and add more olive oil if they seem dry.
For the vinaigrette:
- Whisk the vinegar with the salt and mustard, then add the oils, this helps to dissolve the salt into the vinegar. Taste the vinaigrette with the lettuce and make any adjustments.