When I lived in London, I had the bestest roommate situation EVER. I lived with two wonderful, funny, intelligent women named Hatty and Libby, we affectionately called each other “Bugs” (don’t ask), and our lovely flat was also known as The Maxi Pad. [peekaboo_content]
In our almost two years of living together, we had a total blast and I am very happy and grateful that I am still close with them. As if things could not get better, in our first year of living together Hatty started a children’s catering company with her friend Bella, called Hats & Bells. This meant many verrryyyy early mornings for them (not great), but LOTS of mouth watering smells and baked goods in the house for me and Libby (WOO HOO)! Hats & Bells became hugely successful and they launched their own cookbook last year. So proud!!!
When Hatty got married this Spring, she astonished us all by hand making her own multi-tiered wedding cake (Impressed? I was.) I swear it is the best wedding cake I have EVER had and I ate about 6 pieces throughout the course of the night (They were small slices and I had a lot of drinks/impaired discipline, OK?) I stalked her for the recipe while she was on honeymoon and she very kindly sent it to me. I was THRILLED to see that this recipe is a No Bake Cake. That’s right – NO BAKING for this cake! The recipe is also in the Hats & Bells cookbook. Because some of the UK ingredients cannot be easily found in the US, I had to tweak it a little bit with ingredients we can find here. As you can see, the Cake is delightful to look at, it’s also absolutely insanely good, and has a BONKERS amount of sugar, butter, and candy (hence the name Cuckoo Cake). But listen guys, WHO CARES? We all need to blow off the doors every once in awhile and not worry about it. Dig into a slice and run an extra mile tomorrow. Everything will be fine.
300G GRAHAM CRACKERS
250G UNSALTED BUTTER
400G DARK CHOCOLATE (MINIMUM 70% COCOA SOLIDS), BROKEN INTO PIECES
3 TABLESPOONS GOLDEN SYRUP
160G GOLDEN OATS HONEY CEREAL, CRUSHED
100G MINI MARSHMALLOWS + HANDFUL FOR CAKE TOPPING
1 TUB OF READY-MADE CHOCOLATE FUDGE ICING
150G SMARTIES OR M&M’S (ABOUT 3-4 PACKS)
150G ROLOS (CUT ROLOS IN HALF)
- Line a 34cm x 25cm rectangular baking tin or big bowl with baking parchment and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, use your hands to break up the graham crackers into pieces (but not too small). Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter, chocolate and syrup over a low heat, stirring occasionally, ensuring the mixture does not burn. Once melted remove from the heat and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Once the mixture has cooled, add the crushed graham crackers, cereal, and marshmallows and gently mix together until everything is coated.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the lined tin and immediately transfer to the fridge to set.
- 4 hours is ideal but you could “get away” with a minimum of 2 hours. The cake will be a softer consistency with less time in the fridge.
- When the cake has set, carefully turn the fridge cake onto a chopping board, bottom side up.
- Cover the cake with a thin layer of ready-made fudge icing and then sprinkle over the M&M’s, marshmallows, and halved rolos – the more random and crazy looking the better.