Pasta alle Vongole is an old favorite. I don’t really have a great story about it, except to say that the last time I ate it, I had just come from a talk on Animal Minds where I saw this video. Guys, THAT IS NOT SPED UP. That monkey can memorize numbers and sequences faster than any of us can. Ponder that while you chow down on this. (I know I did…)
Pasta Alle Vongole
-Serves 4 to 6 people-
2 TABLESPOONS OF OLIVE OIL
3-5 GARLIC CLOVES
½ CUP DRY WHITE WINE
½ TEASPOON OF RED PEPPER FLAKES
3 POUNDS OF CLAMS
1 POUND OF LINGUINE
6 TABLESPOONS OF UNSALTED BUTTER
2 TABLESPOONS OF PARSLEY, MINCED
SALT AND PEPPER
- Bring water to a boil. Salt the water well once it is boiling.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds.
- Stir in the clams and the wine. Cover and let simmer, shake the pan occasionally for about 6 minutes.
- Remove the cover from the pan. All of the clams should be open. Throw away any that do not open!
- Continue to simmer the sauce until it is slightly reduced, about another 2 minutes. Remove sauce from heat and set aside.
- Now cook your linguine in the boiling water.
- RESERVE ½ CUP OF THE LINGUINE COOKING WATER BEFORE DRAINING THE LINGUINE.
- Strain the linguine and put it in a large serving bowl. Immediately add the butter, parsley, clams, sauce, and salt/pepper to taste.
- Toss together well, adding the reserved cooking water as needed to loosen the sauce (you will NOT need to use all the water!)
- Serve immediately and be sure to slurp!