This pie concept comes from my grandfather, who very fondly recalls his mother baking him custard zwieback pies when he was just a wee lad. His very first memory of enjoying a zwieback was in his parent’s kitchen, legs not long enough to reach the floor, eating this with his grand father WHO WAS ALIVE DURING THE CIVIL WAR.[peekaboo_content]
Can we think about that for one second, please? The experience of The Civil War is really just ONE lifetime away from you and me and all people reading this and walking around on this planet right now. Mind blown. A special note here: When pressing the pie crust into the springform pan, be sure you pinch it up the sides too. You might look at the pie crust and think “this will never work”, but I promise it will. The batter is very liquid and it will fill all the cracks. As it bakes, everything will harden to make a perfect pie.
Grandad Wiedemann’s Zweiback Crust Pumpkin pie
1 (4 OUNCE) PACKAGE ZWIEBACK TOAST
½ CUP WHITE SUGAR
2 TEASPOONS GROUND CINNAMON
½ CUP BUTTER
YOU’LL ALSO NEED A SPRINGFORM PAN
1 ½ CUPS OF RICOTTA
½ CAN ORGANIC PUMPKIN PUREE
½ CUP WHITE SUGAR
2 TABLESPOONS ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
1 PINCH SALT
½ CUP HEAVY CREAM
½ TEASPOON VANILLA EXTRACT
PLAIN GREEK YOGURT (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Crush zweiback into crumbs (some chunks about the size of a pea are OK)
- In a medium bowl, combine the zweiback crumbs, 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter.
- Mix well and press into the bottom and sides of a 9 inch springform pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the ricotta cheese and half cup sugar until smooth
- Add in pumpkin purée and mix well.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Beat in flour and salt.
- Add in cream and vanilla and mix well.
- Carefully pour the batter into crust and bake in preheated oven for up to 1 hour. In a convention oven, cooking time will be less (probably about 35-40 mins).The center of the pie should feel solid to the touch.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before removing from the pan.
- Remove very carefully from your springform pan, slice, and serve with a dollop of Greek Yogurt.