I spent part of my Memorial Day at the MoMA Museum in NYC to see the Bjork exhibit (LOVE Bjork). And, WHOA, my girl is suffering. Her most recent album, Vulnicara, is about her (very slow and very painful) break up with her partner of over a decade. After seeing the exhibit, I am even more amazed by her because when I break up with someone, you know what I do? I don’t compose and record an entire album. I eat pizza. I eat an exorbitant amount of pizza, I sit in gross PJ’s, and watch shows I’ve already seen a million times, like Sex And The City, and feel sorry for myself for far too long.
I dedicate today’s post to Bjork – Bjork, I know you’re one of the defining artists of our time and this probably seems ridiculous to you. But, you know what, sometimes it’s the simple things in life that can make you feel better. In times of crisis, pizza is your friend. I made this 5 ingredient homemade pizza for you.
Five-Ingredient Impatient Pizza
Pre-made pizza dough, thawed if necessary**
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus an extra 1/2 tsp
1 shallot, sliced lengthwise
2 big handfuls of baby spinach
1/4 cup of feta
** You could also easily make a two-ingredient pizza dough, if the store bought kind does not suit you, or you can’t find any.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Make a ball of pizza dough about the size of a baseball and roll it out into a circle. Crimp up the sides. Pour 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil in the middle and spread it all over the dough, avoiding the edges. Set aside.
- Slice your shallot lengthwise, following its natural lines.
- Put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan and add in the shallot. Cook until they are soft and translucent, about 5 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Put your spinach in a colander and heat up some water in a kettle. When the kettle is boiling, pour it over the spinach to wilt it. Make sure to completely drain the water from the spinach. When the spinach is cool enough to handle, you can squeeze it between paper towels to remove any excess water.
- Spread the spinach onto the pizza dough, followed by the shallots, and then scatter 1/4 cup of feta all over.
- Cook in a 375°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until the dough is golden brown.
- Drizzle with a little more olive oil (if desired). Enjoy!
Note: You may want to add salt, but feta tends to be very salty already, so taste before adding.