This untraditional “holiday pie” uses mashed potatoes as it’s base for the perfect all-in-one Thanksgiving dish. Alternatively, it can also be a great way to use up leftovers, swapping out ground meat for roast turkey and any other odds and ends you have on-hand. The most important ingredient? Cheese and lots of it.
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 delicata or acorn squash halved, deseeded, and cut into ½ inch pieces
Freshly ground black pepper
½ pound ground turkey
1 tablespoon, chopped fresh rosemary, plus more for garnish
1 tablespoon, chopped fresh sage, plus more for garnish
2 leeks, thinly sliced (white and pale green parts only)
1 cup mashed potatoes
All purpose flour for dusting
2 cups Gruyère or Fontina cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a baking pan with parchment paper. Toss squash with 2 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until the squash is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- While the squash roasts, heat the remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground turkey and sauté until just cooked through. Add the rosemary and sage and cook until the meat begins to brown in spots, about 10-12 minutes total. Season with salt and pepper and remove and set aside.
- Add the leeks to the pan and cook until they are translucent, about 5 minutes, adding more oil to the pan if needed. Season with salt and pepper and remove and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to about a 12-inch round and place on a pizza stone. Par-cook the dough in the oven until just golden, about 5-7 minutes and remove from oven to assemble the pie.
- Spread mash potatoes over the crust and top with half the cheese. Top with the ground turkey mixture, leeks, and finish with the delicate squash, leaving a ¾ inch border. Top with remaining cheese. Cook until golden, about 8 minutes more. Turn the oven to broil and cook 2 minutes more until the cheese is melting and the edges of the pizza are crisp.
- Remove and allow pizza to cool slightly. Garnish with the remaining fresh herbs, if using. Cut into slices and serve.